Sunday

My New Life - Kimi's Story

A year ago lots of things came together for me all at once. Bad things. I went shopping at Old Navy and could not find anything in my size. The scale kept creeping up and up and I was approaching a number that I was definitely not happy about. Let's just say the first digit rhymed with poo. I could not bend down to pick up a toy without getting out of breath. Campbell's teacher gave me a picture she had taken of Campbell and I at some school event and I was disgusted by the image. I did not have the energy to play with the kids the way they wanted me to play. Chuck went on a business trip to Singapore that was supposed to be around 10 days and turned into more than 3 weeks. One morning Kenyon and I went to North Shore playground. I saw a bunch of moms with strollers jog by and leading the pack was my friend Christie. She's been the owner of Baby Boot Camp for 5 years or so, and I've known her that entire time through a mom's group, but had never tried a class before. She called out to me as they were running by "Hey, Kimi! How are you? You should come join us sometime!" and I thought to myself "You know, I really should".
So the next day I went. I was surprised by how great of a workout it was. I don't know what I expected it to be like, but it wasn't that. It was hard. In a good way. I have never been a regular exerciser, so it was probably extra hard for me. Kenyon and I both loved being outside and I loved not having to worry about the logistics of child care while exercising. I could just go and do it. So I did, and I kept doing it 2 or 3 times a week. I lost 10 pounds in the first month with no diet change. Real summer came and I kept at it. There were indoor classes offered, but Kenyon and I both preferred being outside, even in the 90 degree 100% humidity. Then Christie started a running group. I was not really interested since I've never run before and could barely run the short jogs we do in class. Another BBC teacher, Libby, told me I could totally do it, that it was different running without a stroller. The first night I went they were already doing 3 min run/1 min walk intervals. I told myself I would be happy if I could complete 3 intervals. I did 5 intervals, but I was hot and miserable and the slowest one there. I'm not sure why I went back a second time, but I did. And saw a tiny bit of improvement. That improvement got me to go back a third night, and pretty soon I was hooked and waking up at 5:30 on Saturday mornings (me! 5:30 AM!) to go running. Listen, if I can start running in July in Florida and keep up with it, anyone can! I am still the slowest one, but I am in love with it.
I am down a little over 20 pounds now (still with no diet change - need to work on that!) but how much better I feel mentally and physically cannot be measured in numbers. I have a confidence I don't think I've ever had. I ran a half marathon! I sleep better. I play with my girls the way they want me to play with them. I am a living example for them of how to take care of their bodies. There is nothing better than seeing them imitate the exercises they watch in BBC. I am so grateful to Christie for reaching out that morning, to Libby for pushing me to go running, and for Chuck for all the times he's taken on extra kid duty so I could go run. Thank you to all the BBC teachers and all my IrunMommies friends who always push me just by being faster!

Need more inspiration?  Check out two other local mom's stories:
Katie: You can do it, you can do anything!
Amy: The feeling of accomplishment and pride is amazing!

0 comments: